PhD Martin Asker: The Handball Shoulder
Comprehensive 2-day workshop covering:
- Throwing biomechanics and throwing related injuries
- Building robust handball players focusing on throwing
- How to monitor specific workloads in handball
- Assessment and rehabilitation of the handball shoulder
- Return to play after a shoulder injury - criteria and tests
This highly practical and evidence based course focusing on enhancing your skills in shoulder examination and effective rehabilitation strategies to manage the most common shoulder injuries seen in handball. Further, this course will also address how to enhance throwing performance and preventive strategies for shoulder injuries, for both the youth player to the senior player. The course explores throwing biomechanics, provides an overview of how biomechanics and workload are linked to shoulder injuries and throwing performance and how to implement and address this in a clinical setting.
- Understand throwing mechanics and throwing related injuries.
- Understand the latest research relating to the mechanisms of shoulder injuries and throwing performance how to implement this into clinical practice.
- Demonstrate adequate and objective assessment of shoulder injuries (including differential diagnosis and assessment of kinetic chains, mobility, strength, throwing biomechanics and power).
- Set up rehabilitation strategies for shoulder injuries and return to play criteria/tests
- Understand how to monitor training load in handball and how to implementing this in the clinical setting.
- Understand how to build training programmes with an aim to increase both throwing performance and reduce risk of shoulder problems in handball players
The course is open for therapists, doctors and coaches who are looking to deepen their knowledge in injury mechanisms and management of shoulder injuries as well as performance development with focus on handball throwing.